Sunday 9 January 2011

Please or Tease!

I'm not sure if it is just me, but has the words please and thank you disappeared from our vocabulary? These are not only important words, but powerful words that can provoke huge contrast in emotions.  A simple dead can become one of sheer pleasure by hearing a please or a thank you. Whilst their absence can change that simple dead to one of regret and annoyance. As a child it was instilled into me the importance of manners. My mother used to tell me and my brothers and sister a wonderful little story about what happens when you don't say please.


"There was a little boy who wouldn't say please
he spoke to his mummy with such words as these
Give me the butter, pass me the cheese
Then the fairies this ruffian to tease
blow him away in a powerful breeze
over the mountains and over the seas
And there he remains until he learns to say please "

As a child I'd often wondered if he ever went home! Though today, I'm not sure how many children are living over the mountains and over the seas!

6 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

A big Thank You, Pauline, for blogging about what is becoming a world-wide problem: the disappearance of manners. Manners seem to disappear into the rush to have everything Right Now, especially here in the States. Children aren't born rude; it's learned behavior.

Angelina Rain said...

I used to work in a bunch of restaurants and had to deal with customers and I noticed that, too. It seems like parents don’t bother to teach their kids manners. When I was a kid, I wouldn’t get anything I asked for unless I could say “Please” and if I didn’t say “Thank you”, it would be taken away.

Thank you for sharing your observations, Pauline.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Good point.

I used to be surprised by how many people commented that my children always had such good manners using 'please' and 'thank you' where ever necessary. I can't believe that these words aren't one of the first things taught by parents and am always amazed when people don't automatically use them.

Rosalind Adam said...

Not sure it's children who are to blame. I suspect it's adults. We all teach babies to say 'ta' or 'thank you' but then they listen to us pushing and barging past each other without even a 'sorry' or 'excuse me' and they realise that the niceties of language are apparently not important.

My mum used to read me a story about a boy who wouldn't say 'please' or 'thank you'. He stamped his foot like a horse and was turned into a horse... not that I'm suggesting we should turn all children into horses. I mean, think of the mess!!

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Kittie, thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I am glad it is not just me about manners. It is sad and worrying! x

Hi Angelina, it never ceases to amaze me just how rude people can be in restaurants. I really don't understand why! Thanks for calling. x

Hello Debs, you must be so very proud. Hugs x

Hi Rosalind, you are right, but as the children grow up I would have thought they might realise how useful please and thank you can be. I must be getting old, very old! Thanks as always for calling by. Hugs to you x

Angelina Rain said...

Hello Pauline,

You won a Stylish Blogger Award. Get your award at my blog.