Monday 9 February 2015

Sitting Round my Pool: Sheila Dalton



Today, I have historical writer of Stolen sitting round my pool to share with us her latest book. Take it away Sheila…

My name is Sheila Dalton and I am new to writing historical fiction, though I have been reading and loving it for years. “Some of my favourite authors are the Sarahs - Dunant and Waters. I also like Katharine McMahon and Lisa See. My last novel, The Girl in the Box, was set in the 80’s. I don’t know if that qualifies as historical fiction, but my new release, Stolen, certainly does. It is set in the seventeenth century.

I finally decided to try my hand at writing about the distant past after visits to Morocco and Devon, England. I found it really interesting that Barbary Corsairs raided the English coast for Christian slaves, including Devon, and many were kept in the underground dungeons I had so recently seen in Meknes, Morocco. I found myself thinking about what it would be like to be a young person who loses her parents to Moroccan pirates. How would she cope? What would she do? Soon, Stolen was born.


 Lizbet Warren, my heroine, encounters many dangers and delays in her quest to find her parents. She is arrested for vagrancy, taken in by a French privateer who works for the English crown, and captured by a British pirate before arriving in the fabled courts of the Moroccan sultan.  She is a complex young woman, troubled by the black and white slavery so prevalent at the time, and by the choices she must make to survive. I hope I’ve done her story justice.

Stolen is available from ALL Amazon sites including...


Sheila Dalton
Author of The Girl in the Box, Trial by Fire, Doggerel, and others.
http://www.sheila-anne-dalton.com

6 comments:

RADay said...

Thank you very much for hosting me on your blog, Pauline. I apologize for leaving out the word 'been' before 'reading'!
Stolen can be purchased as an ebook from Amazon, if anyone is interested.
Sheila

Suzy, The Grey Brunette said...

It sounds fascinating and I love the cover! Great to e-meet you, Sheila! :D

Hugs Pauline xx

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Sheila, it's a pleasure and I hope you sell millions of your fabulous new novel.

Pauline Barclay said...

Hi Suzy,a big thanks for stopping by. And yes, I love the cover too. xx

Helen Hollick said...

Another one for my TBR mountain! :-) Devon AND pirates.... how could I resist?

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Helen, thanks for taking a peek and I bet you will love Sheila's book :)