Wednesday 24 February 2016

The Past Helping to Write Today


My nana was born in January 1889 in West Yorkshire and spent much of her life working in the woollen mills in Bradford. She worked there until she was 75 and lived to the great age of 92 . On my way home from school I would often call in and see her in the mill. The noise and smell of these places are unique and remain with you forever.

When I wrote Storm Clouds Gathering I used the memories of visiting my nana to bring to life the backdrop of this story which is set in 1965. Three of the characters work in a woollen mill and as I wrote these scenes I thought of my nana and how different her life was to ours today. Storm Clouds Gathering is an emotional story set in the summer of 1965 and it is after this summer that three families' lives will never be the same again.






No comments: