Monday 10 October 2011

My Guest, a Truly Positive Lady, Sue Johnson

As another week begins, the hot weather continues down here, today we can expect 30c in the shade, so my guest, this week sitting around my pool is going to fry! So before I introduce her, here is the first sentence!


''The roller coaster of life was gathering speed and I was getting itchy feet'' Chapter 1, Astral Travelling, The Avatar and Me by Richard Holmes

 
 
 
 
 
Now please welcome to my pool terrace the lovely Sue Johnson, a wonderful lady who puts the positive into positive ! Sue's first none fiction book, Creative Alchemy was published last week in a blaze of publicity. Despite it being a hectic time, Sue, still found time to lounge around my pool and tell me all about her writing. Go on Sue, finish your champas and then take it away.....
 
Thanks Pauline, it's nice to sit here in the hot sunshine and chill for a moment or two. August 2011 saw the launch of my first novel ‘Fable’s Fortune,’ published by Indigo Dreams Publishing. www.indigodreamsbookshop.com I am currently awaiting Indigo’s decision on novel number two!
 

Last week was launch day for my non-fiction book Creative Alchemy: 12 steps from inspiration to finished novel. My inspiration for writing this was because I read somewhere that for every 100 novels that are started only one is completed. Many prospective writers are deterred by destructive comments (often from friends and family) and negative messages from the past.

Since 2001, I have been running writing workshops – many of them for users of the mental health services. My biggest task has been to encourage students to ignore these negative voices, to believe in themselves and the story they wish to tell – and just go for it and not stop until they’ve achieved their writing dreams.
I am happy to report that I’ve witnessed many successes for which I can claim no credit – one of them being the lovely Sue Watson. All I have done is to provide exercises to kindle a spark and then offer support and encouragement when the creative fire starts.
This was my reason for writing Creative Alchemy – which has been described as a ‘course in a book’. I wanted as many people as possible to be able to achieve their writing ambitions. The book is pocket-size, non-scary, and contains advice and exercises to keep writers on track.

Creative Alchemy: 12 steps from inspiration to finished novel by Sue Johnson
is published by HotHive Books www.thehothive.com. Intro offer £6.99.

8 comments:

Pauline Barclay said...

Thank you Sue for sitting around my pool, phew it is a hot day!

Melanie said...

Another great interview and first line.

Sue's Creative Alchemy sounds like a title that all authors should have in their collection - especially aspiring ones.

Sunny and warm here in the Eastern Ontario part of Canada today, too.

Hope you ladies managed to stay cool around the pool!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Fascinating blog. A pocket-size book would attract me!

Monti
NotesAlongTheWay

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Melanie, thanks for stopping by and leaving a lovely comment. Glad you are having fabby weather too.x

Hi Monti, lovely to see you popping in. I think Sue's idea of a pocket size book is fantastic. Have a fabby day :)

Morton S Gray said...

Sue's Creative Alchemy is lovely - great size, tactile and full of writing gems. I could look at the cover all day. Having attended her writing classes for quite a while, I know how inspirational she is and I hope the book sells very well. Mx

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Morton, I agree the cover is fab! Sue is an amazing lady. Thanks for stopping by. x

Sue watson said...

Lovely pool visit - lovely lady! Like Morton I too attended Sue's classes and I still find Sue an inspiration - Creative Alchemy is like having Sue sitting next to you and guiding you gently through the highs and lows of writing. x

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Sue, you are right, Sue is a lovely lady and she has mentioned you in her lovely interview regarding her classes, so pleased you could stop by too. It's scorching here,good thing we sit under the parasol! x