Sunday 29 May 2011

My Guest Nicole MacDonald

We are so international here on My Guest page these day. This week my gorgeous guest is from New Zealand and is the author of an epic Fantasy trilogy - Birthright.



I've been a daydreamer for as long as I can remember, frequently wrapped up in my own world. Because in my world I got to be the heroine and in my world there were unicorns, and jaguars, and most importantly magic! It did once occur to me when I was around eleven or so, that I could write my world. But as an atrocious speller I lacked the confidence in my writing ability, so I dismissed the idea.

A couple of years ago the idea occurred to me again. I could write a story. No one needed to read it or judge it and it'd be all mine. And of course I wouldn't have to worry about a deadline or such. So I decided to write my story. It was based on meeting your soul mate. I met my soul mate at eighteen, which may sound incredibly romantic but to an independent young woman ready to take on the world, it was a major spanner in my plan. Actually I'd always firmly intended to use boys as I liked, discard them and then live with my close friend Sian as soon as we got to an appropriate 'crazy old cat lady' age… Probably not everyone's plan for the future but I was really looking forward to it. Then along came a spanner called Glenn.

So I centered my story around four close friends who decide on a whim to cast a love spell. Then my imagination got hold of it.

Suddenly the friends were waking in a strange forest wondering where the hell they were and why the locals thought they looked so tasty. The story completely took off leaving me scrambling along in its wake and suddenly realizing I'd gone from maybe writing a novel to publicly announcing I'd written the first in an Epic Fantasy trilogy.

Rather a shock to the system really.

Book One, ARRIVAL of the BirthRight Trilogy introduces the reader to the characters and their new world, Sytas. Here is the blurb

'Four friends in the midst of a man drought cast a love spell on a whim. And land themselves on another planet. Oops.

On a foreign and often hostile world, love teeters on the horizon while the threat of civil war looms thanks to the girls' unexpected gifts. Will the girls master these gifts in time to survive a war in which, not only are they the ultimate weapons, but also the ultimate prize.'

Book Two, AWAKENING is currently being drafted and I hope to release it in December this year.

My blog 'Damsel in a Dirty Dress' follows my writing and all its frustrations as I try to get The Arrival out there. As an indie author it's a very challenging world but out of all the hobbies I've ever tried my hand at, writing is the one I'm most passionate about. I write in the hopes of providing an escape from the everyday world like all books are to me. And if one day this can be my full time job that'd be lovely, but until then it'll be my favorite hobby *grin* How else would I get to soar on a griffons back, fight evil creatures with skills I could only dream of and meet dragons!


Oh, and in case you wondered, Glenn and I will celebrate our ten year anniversary this year.



Buy ARRIVAL Now from Amazon or from Smashwords
 
I'm on GoodReads and BookBlogs
 
 
 
You are most welcome to stroll along to my Blog to say hello Chat with me on Facebook or on Twitter @DmslinaDrtyDrss

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Aww thanks Pauline :) it looks fab!

Rosalind Adam said...

That story sounds fascinating. I love it when characters take over your mind. Glad to hear that your spanner in the works worked out too.

Talei said...

Ah, such a great guest post Pauline! And, congrats on your book Nicole!

Pauline Barclay said...

Hi Ros & Talei, thanks for stopping by to say, Hello to Nicole. She is an amazing lady and I am delighted she took the time out to wiz half way round the world to appear on my Blog and Web site. Thank you Nicole! xx

Old Kitty said...

Hello there Pauline Barclay and lovely Nicole Macdonald! Thank you for sharing your writing journey here Nicole. Congratulations to you and Glenn and all the best with your trilogy!! take care
x

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Old Kitty. thanks for stopping by and meeeting the lovely Nicole. x