Monday 28 January 2013

Sitting Round my Pool - Melanie Robertson-King

Today I have Canadian author, Melanie Robertson-King relaxing round my pool talking about her debut novel, A Shadow in the Past.

Melanie, I know you are along way from home, so relax and enjoy our sunny climate.


Thank you so much for inviting me to beautiful Lanzarote and your lovely home, Pauline. Your patio (or do you call it terrace) by your pool is gorgeous! I hope you don’t mind if I start out sitting in the shade. Coming from the sub-zero temperatures in Canada, I don’t want to get fried right away from too much sun and go home looking like a boiled lobster.

Yes, please, I would love a glass of bubbly. Believe it or not, I had pondered contacting you about Famous Five Plus but kept saying “nae” because your group was strictly indie authors. You can’t imagine how thrilled I was when you e-mailed me and invited me to join #FFP! I can only hope I’m doing the group proud.

Being with a small press – 4RV Publishing
the majority of the marketing falls to me but then even the big houses have cut way back in their marketing budgets. I love my publisher to death and she’s been a great support to me as I try to find new and innovative ways to showcase my debut novel – A Shadow in the Past, without spending scads of time on social media.

Currently, A Shadow in the Past is available in print only so that gives me the advantage of getting into bricks and mortar bookstores and I’ve gotten into three so far – most recently at The Book Nook in the town of Perth. I had sent along the blurb when I made contact with the owner and when I went in to drop off some copies she described my novel as “the Outlander series for young adults.” I’m still blushing after being compared to Diana Gabaldon, although I must admit if it weren’t for her series, I wouldn’t have written my overgrown short story, Sarah’s Gift, that evolved into the novel-length A Shadow in the Past.

Before I leave this wonderful sunshine and warmth, I will say that I am working on book two in the series (tentatively entitled Shadows from her Past) but at this point, I can’t reveal any more than that, lest I create spoilers.

Thanks so much for inviting me. I’ve loved being here. I’ll invite you to Canada and take you on a wee tour of interesting places near where I live but will wait for summer when the weather is far more conducive to such things.

Melanie, the pleasure has all been mine and I’m so pleased you’ve enjoy our little volcanic island and soaked up a few rays too!

Whilst you relax I'm going to take a peek at your fabby video...




Melanie's Links:

www.melanierobertson-king.com Where fact and fiction meet...
Visit my blog Celtic Connexions
www.loveahappyending.com Feature Author and Associate Reader
www.famousfiveplus.com Feature Author
Follow me on Twitter at @RobertsoKing



9 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks for inviting me, Pauline. The timing is perfect! Cold and snowing in my part of the world today so the Lanzarote sun is most welcome.

Nicky Wells said...

What a fabulous feature! I can just see you two ladies lounging pool-side, sipping cocktails and talking about Mel's book. Awesome! Really loved learning about the publishing of A Shadow In the Past and wish you every success. Rock on!

Bikerhen said...

Oh man, a cocktail by Pauline's pool, some book and publishing talk and a bit of sunshine would so go over good right now. Nice to catch up with you ladies!

Melanie said...

Hi Nicky, thanks for dropping by. It did take a while but I worked my way out into the sun and am feeling all warm and toasty now. So glad you enjoyed learning about my novel's publishing journey with 4RV!

Melanie said...

Come on over, Bikerhen! Virtually anyway... is better than staying home in the snow today and the impending freezing rain.

So glad you were able to pop in and leave a comment.

Suzy, The Grey Brunette said...

I love Canada... it's one of my favourite places in the world! I really hope to go back one day soon. My husband and I have even talked about moving there.
Your picture is awesome, by the way! I hope you didn't get sunburnt!

Pauline Barclay said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by and chatting with the lovely Melanie. Have a fab day and keep warm! xx

Melanie said...

What part of Canada did you and your husband talk about moving to, Suzy? It's a beautiful country for sure. One of these days, hubby and I will get out west. We've been to the Maritimes but never gone the other direction.

No sunburn, thankfully.

Suzy, The Grey Brunette said...

We completely fell in love with Alberta and BC so if we ever decided to move, it would be out west! We've also visited Ontario and Quebec which were both amazing! One day I'd love to visit the Maritimes too :D