Sunday 9 November 2014

Sitting Round my Pool - Victorian Romance Writer, Rosemary Smith



Today, I have the lovely Rosemary Smith sitting round my pool soaking up the rays, drinking bubbly and telling me all about her fabulous romantic books.

Thank you Pauline for inviting me to sit with you by your pool. It is fabulous here, and am loving the champagne!

You are so welcome, please just help yourself to the tapas and wine whilst we chat.


You write Victorian romance / mystery under Rosemary Smith, tell us a little about your books

My books are all set in Victorian times, except for Gypsy Heart, which is set just after Queen Victoria died. I like to set the stories in places I've been to, and particularly love Cornwall and Yorkshire. My books all contain beautiful clothes, sometimes weddings, old houses, secrets, feisty heroines and romance. While I'm writing, I am the main female character, and am living her life throughout the story. Fortunately, I never find it difficult to describe Victorian times, although
it is nearly always the gentry! Each of my books have a happy ending, although there may be discord along the way. I am an incurable romantic!
  
You have six published books is there a seventh on the way?

There is a seventh book waiting to be published, but I haven't heard yet when it will be launched. It is set in Cornwall, with the usual ingredients. I'm hoping it will be successful.






 Are you an Independent author or with a mainstream publisher?

I do have a mainstream publisher, which is Endeavour Press. I always look forward to seeing the covers, which are always gorgeous, and pleasing to the eye, and romantic! I especially love the cover on Darkwood. I believe Endeavour Press, are the leading publisher for kindle books. I've also written for DC Thomson.





What is your favourite time of day to write?

I am no good at all in the mornings! So I write in the evening, or early hours. I can be still writing at 3am. Which doesn't always please my husband! But I seem to come alive at night, and have my best ideas in the evening. I don't write each day. But work when the mood takes me.







What inspires you to create a new book?

I'm inspired very much by the sea. Old houses and Churches. Anything with a sense of history. Also, supernatural tales can inspire me! Which can help me to write the mystery in my stories. I also love looking at Victorian clothes, especially wedding dresses, and visiting museums. Although I may not touch on things very much, I love all the research.





Do your books have a special theme?

My special theme has to be the build up to romance between two people. Whether it be falling in love in a house, garden, or on the cliffs. Romance is my main theme. But I do like to sprinkle the story with mystery and secrets. And I love the clothes, as I think it important in an historical novel, to imagine what the characters are wearing, especially the ladies. I can't imagine writing in any other genre.





It has been lovely talking to you Pauline. Yes, another glass of bubbly would be lovely. Thank you.


Rosemary, it is my pleasure having you here too. We must do it again!



A little about Rosemary:
  
I was born in the Finchley Road in London. Our stepfather moved us to Devon, in 1959, when I was 13. So I consider Devon as my home. I live with my gorgeous husband in a chocolate box village, where Sir Walter Raleigh was born, With our dog Alfie. We have 3 daughters between us, (one sadly deceased) 8 grandchildren,
and 2 great grandsons. My career was in book-keeping, when there was no computers! It really was books. Then in 1998 I had a brain tumour removed. My neuro-surgeon advised me to keep my brain active, which is when I started writing, at the age of 55yrs. Never expected it to be successful. At the beginning I did it for

my own amusement. I love History, am hopeless at Geography! My passion is visiting old houses, the favourite being Haddon Hall in Derbyshire. I also love Churches, and gravestones, reading, poetry and opera. Oh, and sitting by the sea!

2 comments:

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

How nice - to be interviewed in the sunshine! I'm relocated back in UK now Pauline - but I do miss the sunshine.x

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Pat, thanks for popping in. I hope you are settled back in the UK. A few have gone back this year. Take care and talk soon. Sending our sunshine with hugs to you xx