Sunday 18 November 2018

New from Janet Few, Barefoot on the Cobbles




Today, I am delighted to have Janet Few sitting round my pool and talking about her brand new novel, Barefoot on the Cobbles. So please help yourself to a glass of bubbly and a plate of tapas and meet my lovely guest.




When Pauline invited me to visit her blog as a guest poster, she suggested that I write a few words about myself and my new book, so I have done just that.

The few words about me

I inhabit the past. You might find me lurking in my four-hundred-year-old North Devon cottage, or spot me thinly disguised as the formidable Mistress Agnes. This alter ego is a goodwife of a certain age, who leads a somewhat chaotic life during the mid-seventeenth century. One way or another, most of my time is spent working to inspire others with a love of history, heritage and the written word by giving presentations across the English-speaking world.

In a vain effort to support my incurable book buying habit, in the past, I have been known to pull the odd pint or two, sell hamsters and support very special schoolchildren. Somewhere along the way, I acquired a doctorate in community history ‘for fun’. I am told that I have an international reputation as a family historian. My claim to fame is that I am the current Commonwealth gold medal holder in the virtual ‘Rockstar Genealogists’ Award’.

Any time that I can carve from my history-obsessed existence, is spent embarrassing my descendants, travelling, trying to make my garden behave itself and leading my grandchildren astray.



….. and a few words about my new book

Having published several non-fiction history books, writing a novel ‘seemed like a good idea at the time.’ I knew exactly what I was going to write and it wasn’t Barefoot on the Cobbles. In that inexplicable fashion that writers will know so well, despite all my intentions, Barefoot on the Cobbles is what took hold of my imagination and appeared on my laptop screen.

The story is based on a real tragedy that I uncovered during some family history research. It isn’t a pretty tale, there is death, disease, shipwreck, conflict and a manslaughter trial. There are some lighter moments, these are real people and their lives shade from joy to despair.

The book spans three decades but the emphasis is on the 1910s. This particular era provided me with plenty of scope, encompassing as it does, the First World War, the fight for women’s suffrage, the influenza epidemic, the dawning of a social conscience and medical care in pre-NHS days, all of which feature in the book. Being an historian, the novel is grounded in meticulous research and even passing references are based on fact. The local doctor really did have an interest in chicken genetics, the cousin’s beau worked in the ironmongers and Granny Smale did indeed run out of cream.

Barefoot on the Cobbles is a book about human behaviour, exploring how our experiences impact upon our actions. I sometimes refer to the story as a ‘why done it’. The novel opens during a trial and then looks back to the incidents in the characters’ pasts that led them to be in that place, at that time, to become accuser or accused. The characters and their backgrounds allowed me to explore such issues as anorexia, shell-shock, mental health, alcoholism, the menopause and infant mortality. You will find evidence of my interest in the history of medicine and of my love of the Devon landscape, hidden between the covers of this book.



More information, including mini-biographies of many of the characters and extracts from the book, can be found on my own blog The History Interpreter http://bit.do/bfotc.
Barefoot on the Cobbles – a Devon tragedy ISBN: 978-1-911438-54-0 is available on Kindle in the UK, USA, Australasia and Canada. Although printed copies are available from Amazon, if you are in the UK, please consider using another option, such as buying from Blue Poppy Publishing, from your local independent bookseller or directly from me. Thank you.


Thank you Janet for taking time out to visit and talk about your book and I hope it is flying of the shelves.

No comments: