Tuesday 14 July 2020

Buried Treasure by Gilli Allan

Today, I am delighted to share an interview with Theo from Buried Treasure by Gilli Allan, please make yourself comfortable, help yourself to a drink and meet, Dr Tyler….



“Doctor Theo Tyler?  How do you do.” The interviewer sits down and puts her recording device on the table between them.  “I see from your webpage you describe yourself as a historian and a desk archaeologist. What do you mean by that?”

 “You can be historian without being an archaeologist, but you can’t be an archaeologist without being a historian.  My life isn’t spent excavating.  My archaeology is mainly theoretical. By interpreting landscape, place names and documentary evidence where it exists, a lot can be inferred about past events and where settlements might have been established.”

“So, what in your background drew you to this area of study? “
He smiles slightly “Most boys are interested in the Vikings, aren’t they? A boyhood fascination developed into a more general attraction to the period from the fourth to the twelfth century.
“The Dark ages?”

“A rather reductive term. It doesn’t mean the peoples of these islands were mindless primitives. Those centuries are only so-called because the documentary and material evidence from the period between the Romans’ departure and the arrival of the Normans is far more limited than before or after. I prefer early medieval.”

“You’re upbringing was unusual.  The debutante and the punk rocker…?” She smiles and arches her eyebrows at him.
“I have no wish to talk about my family. “

“But life was hard after your father died,” she pursues. “Your mother didn’t cope well….?
“It certainly wasn’t easy. My mother is … was…..” Theo clears his throat. “Needless to say, we survived the trauma and the press intrusion.  It took her awhile to come to terms with his death, but as I said, it’s not a time of my life I want to discuss.”

The interviewer clears her throat, “Fair enough. Um … you went to a rebrick university for your under-graduate years? You could have attended Oxford or Cambridge, but you chose not to?”
“My rebellious phase.”

“And that was when you began a relationship with Aniela Sobieralska? I’ve heard it said it was fiery?”
“Not at the start. It grew into a tempestuous association. But she’s moved on. I hope she’s happy now.” Theo lifts his hand and circles his finger-tips at his hairline, above his temple. ”I hope her husband has given her what I couldn’t, or wouldn’t.”

“To get back to your rebellious phase. You’re teaching here now. Do you repudiate your youthful idealism ….?””
“Not at all. I’m just older…”
“And wiser?”

“I’m more pragmatic. I have less energy to expend on trying to overthrow the class system.” 
“And yet you’re…?”
“Just a temporary university lecturer at Lancaster College, filling in for a permanent member of staff who is engaged in a research project.”

“You’re hopeful of tenure here?”
“One day.  Here … or somewhere else.”
“How did you react to Jane Smith, when you first met her in the Spring of 2016?”
“Jane?”  Theo pauses, his mouth quirks up at the corner. “It was a very brief encounter. There was no time to respond.”

“Your first impression then?”
Theo covers his mouth as if to disguise his expression, but then nods.  “I was a bit put out, to be completely honest. It was a surprise.  She and her associate were established in the room I usually use in the college.  The colours she was wearing were very … gaudy.  And she was…...” He shakes his head as if he’s decided against pursuing the subject. 

“What?”
“It doesn’t matter.  Whatever I thought of her was unexpressed and I had no expectation of ever meeting her again.”
“So how did that come about?”

“A few months later we met in the pub over the road from Lancaster. It was a pure fluke that we were both there at the same time.  But if it hadn’t been for her free-range sandwich……….” I
“Can you explain that?”

“She mis-spoke.” He shakes his head and now there is a definite smile hovering around his mouth. “Jane was there filling in time before an appointment. We got talking, slightly unwillingly on her part. But I’d remembered she had been engaged by the NITP to organize a September conference at Lancaster College. As I was thinking about holding a conference myself, I thought her expertise might be useful to me. I decided to put aside any preconceptions and raise the subject.”

“And did she help?”  
“She gave me an overview of what I needed to take into consideration. But to be honest the subject rather went onto the back burner after she told me what her appointment was about.”

“Which was?”
“She was obviously upset. She’d come in to talk to Lancaster’s conference manager about an imposed change to her arrangements with college. Strangely her problem intersected with one of mine.  It raised my suspicions of an improper relationship between the hierarchy of the college, a developer, and the planning department of Beacon’s Hill council … for whom I’m the archaeological consultant.”

“That sounds complicated.” 
Theo nods.  “You could say that. Had it not been for that coincidence and the subsequent discovery that she had a strange story to tell about her own family connection to a wartime find of a Viking hoard … well, none of it would have happened….”



BLURB
“I found Buried Treasure a compelling read. It was so many things: a love story, a hunt for clues to lost secrets, and a fascinating look at how our past experiences shape us, and how we can heal even after damage. The characters were wonderfully well drawn. ”
Jane thinks he sees her as shallow and ill-educated. Theo thinks she sees him as a snob, stuffy and out of touch.
Within the ancient precincts of the university the first encounter between the conference planner and the academic is accidental and unpromising. Just as well there’s no reason for them ever to meet again. But behind the armour they’ve each constructed from old scars, they’ve more in common than divides them. Both have an archaeological puzzle they are driven to solve. As their stories intertwine, their quest to uncover the past unearths more than expected.

Links…
BURIED TREASURE
Find Gilli’s other books TORN, LIFE CLASS and FLY or FALL at
Contact Gilli at


1 comment:

Gilli Allan said...

Thanks for inviting me, Pauline. I enjoyed giving Theo a grilling, even if it was through a third party interviewer. Gillix