Monday 28 December 2020

Coincidences - The Piper

Over the next month I will be adding some wonderful, coincidence, stories from amazing authors. To start this exciting season, I will start with one of my coincidence stories that happened many years ago, The Piper. I hope you enjoy. 


The Piper

 The radio played in the background and the sound of bagpipes floated through the airwaves. ‘My goodness,’ my mum said, getting to her feet and turning the volume up. ‘This takes me back,’ she said returning to her chair. ‘When you were very young there used to be a piper who sat on the grassy bank at the side of York House and played the bagpipes. If I had the windows open you could hear him as clear as if he was standing outside the house. Sometimes, I would open the front door and just listen to him. This went on for weeks and then one day, he didn’t turn up, and despite listening out for him on a Sunday, I never heard him play again.’

 Years passed and the memory of the piper was long forgotten, until one evening. One, particular evening, my parents were out for a drink and during a conversation with others in the bar the subject moved to music. My mum found herself talking about the man who played the bagpipes all those years ago on the grassy bank. She explained how she had enjoyed listening and how saddened she had felt when he didn’t come back. An older man, close by, listened with interest to mum’s tale and, once she’d finished, he went up to her. ‘You have brought a memory back to me too,’ he said, ‘because, that piper you talk about, well, I was that piper and I stopped because we moved away. Funny, I never thought anyone would have taken notice of my practicing or even missed me.’

 My mum never forgot that evening and relayed the story often as she could never believe that such a coincidence could happen. And, yes, it is a true story.

 If you enjoyed this story, please come back for more.

 Thank you as always for stopping by.

Please take care of yourself and each other and I hope the sun is shining on your face and in your heart.

 Hugs

Pauline

 


6 comments:

Gilli Allan said...

Lovely story. x

Pauline Barclay said...

Thank you Gilli. It is amazing and lovely and true. Take care x

Kit Domino said...

Great story. x

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Kit, thank you and I look forward to sharing your, coincidence, story. x

Ian said...

There used to be a television programme when I was a kid called Stranger than Fiction. It's weird, isn't it? Life often throws up coincidences that you'd never get away with in fiction. Love this story, Pauline. There's something eerie about past and present speaking to each other - but deeply satisfying too.

Pauline Barclay said...

Hello Ian, yes real life is stranger than fiction, but I too love this story and more because I can remember my mum telling it to me on more than one occasion.