Sunday 4 July 2021

Granit Jones talks about his Debut Novel


Today, I have a special guest visiting PBHQ, Granit Jones. I have known Granit for many years and I am delighted he is here talking about his debut novel, The Caratacus Reincarnation. So please help yourself to a glass of bubby, take a seat and meet my lovely guest.

What inspired you to write a book?

I read a quote somewhere that said 'that we all have a book in us'. Having retired I found myself at a loose end and decided to put that quote to the test. Another quote by, I believe Christopher Higgins, stated that 'everybody does have a book in them but in most cases that is where it should stay'.

I will leave it up to the readers to determine if my attempt should have remained in my head or whether the effort of putting it down on paper was worth it.


Where did the idea for The Caratacus Reincarnation come from?

In a previous life I was a project manager for an offshore installation contractor. There was always rivalry, as there is in any industry, but I got to wondering if an unscrupulous operator wanted to put his rival out of business how would he go about it. At the same time I am interested in world politics and in particular in the reinvigoration of Russia under the present leadership. The Caratacus Reincarnation combines these two threads with, I hope, considerable exaggeration regarding the ends that some people will go to in order to achieve their goals.

As an aside I should point out that the name Caratacus Reincarnation was originally going to be called The Poseidon Reincarnation but too many other authors have used the name Poseidon hence the name change. The book has nothing to do with the original Caratacus who was an ancient Brit who fought the Romans back in the first century but just a name that I had come across in a book and which I quite liked.

Have you more books in the pipeline waiting to be published?

I have written two more books. The first is entitled 'The Power of Nature'

and the second 'The Need for God'. Whilst stand alone stories some of the characters in these books are also in the Caratacus Reincarnation. The titles of these books relate to the subject. I have tried to look at an issue that concerns us today and use that as the loose basis for the story. 

So in the Power of Nature I look at a scenario where someone has decided that the only way to prevent mankind from destroying the natural environment is to dramatically reduce the world population and in the Need for God the story revolves around mankind's need for something to believe in rather than mankind itself. In these two books I also close out some of the loose ends from the Caratacus Reincarnation.



Where can readers get a copy from of The Caratacus Reincarnation?

The Caratacus Reincarnation is published by Austin Macauley who have shown an interest in the other two books but am not, at least yet, willing to fully commit to their publication. I would hope that if The Caratacus Reincarnation is a success then perhaps that will sway them to publish. If not I will seek another route to publication perhaps through self-publishing or via a literary agent. If there are any agents out there who would be interested I would be happy to hear from them.

The Blurb:

Following a disastrous Marxist government, Britain is on the verge of ruin whilst a resurgent Russia prepares to regain the territories lost when the old Soviet Union collapsed.

In the cold grey waters of the North Sea, a small independent oil company makes a major discovery which could change the fortunes of Great Britain. The discovery is called the Caratacus Field, but before the benefits can be realised, it has to be developed. Two rival offshore construction companies vie for the work leading to sabotage and death on the high seas and a worldwide manhunt for those responsible.

Russia knows the risk to its plans should the revenue from the Caratacus Field save the United Kingdom from debt default and humiliation. It is determined to stop or delay the development until it is able to enact its plans to invade Europe.

The Caratacus Reincarnation looks towards a frightening and all too feasible future; but will the new British government or Russia come out on top?

The Caratacus Reincarnation is available via Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Waterstones.

Amazon links:

Kindle Amazon co.uk

Kindle Amazon .com

Paperback Amazon co uk

Paperback Amazon com

 

Tell me a little about yourself


My story is included in the first page of the book. Born in London in 1955 I grew up near Portsmouth. I studied at Portsmouth Polytechnic where I got a degree in Mechanical Engineering before moving to Barrow-in Furness where I worked as a Naval Architect. I am still a member of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects although not an active member. I left Barrow to join BP before moving to a Dutch offshore installation company where I worked for the next 32 years. I retired at the end of 2015 which was when I decided to try my hand at being an author. I married my Finnish born wife in 1979 and have two children one of whom lives near London and the other lives near Sydney in Australia. I used the pseudonym Granit Jones purely because I thought it was more of a memorable name than my actual name.

You can follow Granit on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/granit.jones




No comments: