Tuesday 9 April 2024

Author Spotlight: Derek Farmer

 

From mathematical numbers to creative words, Derek Farmer, shares his writing journey, from being a teacher to the author of a fast paced, high octane thriller that has the reader on the edge to the very last page, The Dark side of Innocence. Please sit back and meet my wonderful guest.


 What is it that inspires people to write books? If it’s to create a million copy best seller, then think again because the chance of that happening is virtually zero.

    I started writing as a young maths teacher in the late seventies. I approached Longman, an educational publisher with ideas for a set of text books with refreshing and inspirational content that would stimulate secondary kids and was awarded a contract to produce three books. It was then that panic set in. I had a young family with three children under the age of four, so I could see my spare time would be monopolised for a long time ahead.

     Then disaster struck when two out of our three children were diagnosed with cystic fibrosis and life changed forever. In those days treatment was basic and very time consuming. My writing initially took a back seat, but I knew that I had to carry on and the work took me later and later into the night and weekends.

    A series of books “Getting on with Maths” was published in the eighties.

 Despite this mammoth undertaking, the greatest achievement for my wife Jan and I, is that our two sons have reached the age of forty and are still going strong.

     After everything, you’d think I’d had enough of writing. Not a bit of it. I’d been smitten by the bug and enrolled in a local night school for creative writing. My ambition was to write a novel and I had a great plot. Even with the greatest will in the world, things don’t always go to plan. With all the pressures of bringing up our family, something had to give and sadly it was my writing.

     Eventually, my wife and I retired to Spain, for a lifestyle in the sun and my love of writing was reignited when the grandkids were born. I’d written many stories for my own children and used the old ideas to create a story with my three grandchildren as characters. They travel back in time and meet their grandparents (that’s us) in a very humorous story. The award winning SOMEWHERE IN YORKSHIRE was published in 2021 and can be found on Amazon. https://amzn.eu/d/hafnXD9  It’s written for 7–12-year-olds and grandparents love it!

     Then came the challenge of writing the novel that I’d had in my mind for so long. It’s a political thriller set in the 1980’s London underworld with a romantic element and a high body count (of course). The plot is full of twists and turns which makes for a fast paced, high-octane story and the outcome leaves the reader on the edge to the very last page. THE DARK SIDE OF INNOCENCE was published in 2023. The reviews so far are terrific and it can be purchased through Amazon  https://amzn.eu/d/3KfX7Hx


    My next project is a trilogy. It’s a saga following the fortunes of two families, beginning in mid-19th century Scotland and concluding in WW2. The first book, THE LAIRD’S WIFE (a Victorian serial killer) is at the editing stage!


 You can find out more about Derek from his website Https://derekfarmerauthor.com

 

As always, thank you for stopping by. I hope the sun is shining on your face and in your heart. Until next time, take care of yourself and each other.

 

Pauline


No comments: