Monday 8 July 2019

Yesterday Uncovered with Susan Appleyard


Today, on Yesterday Uncovered, we slip back to 1800s



Sitting round my pool is Susan Appleyard the author of, historical novels, so please help yourself to a glass of chilled bubbly, a plate of tapas, then make yourself comfortable and enjoy slipping back to the 1800s.

Tell us a little about yourself

I write only historical novels. To date, I have had two traditionally published (before my career went in the toilet) and I have published eight Ebooks. I have just completed the first draft of number eleven. I live in Ontario for half the year and Mexico for the other half. Lucky me.

What inspired you to write about the 1800s?

Empress Elisabeth of Austria inspired me. I first came across her in a podcast and was immediately fascinated and decided to write a book about her. During that process, I came across her cousin Ludwig II of Bavaria. I can’t say why these two people attracted me anymore than I can explain why I like chocolate and not cheese. My present wip is set in the thirteenth century but I would like to visit the 18th again.

Tell us little about the story and its plot without giving too much away

It is a novella that tells of the last months of Ludwig’s life and how he was the victim of a conspiracy by his own government to depose him. Ironically, the pretext was that he was insane, but he was followed in the kingship by his brother Otto who had been declared insane several years earlier.



Is any part of the story based on facts / real events?

Within the parameters of historical fiction and perhaps my own bias, it is all true.



If research was necessary what did this involve?

Mostly my research concerned reading about Ludwig’s life and the times he lived in. I was fortunate to be able to visit the beautiful province of Bavaria and some of the castles he built or was associated with. That was undoubtedly one of the joys of writing about the 18th century as opposed to the medieval period where so much is in ruins.




Please add all your social media links below and make them hyperlinks if you can.

My blog: www.susanappleyardwriter.wordpress.com
My facebook page: 
https://www.facebook.com/susan.appleyard.9
My Twitter account: 
https://twitter.com/Mexisue1

No comments: