Saturday 18 July 2020

Shining a Light on ...



For many it is a very tough time. For charities it is also a very scary time, for some their income has dried up. Over the coming weeks I will be sharing stories that will warm your heart, make you smile and maybe have you reaching for the tissues.

I have known today’s guest for many years, Mo Marland is one of the kindest people on this planet. Her capacity to help others knows no bounds. I can recall many of the things Mo has been involved in, one was spending Christmas day helping the lonely enjoy a special Christmas dinner together so they were warm, fed and in good company. This is just one act of kindness from hundreds. I am more than delighted that Mo agreed to share a little about the charities she supports. It’s all yours Mo, take it away…


I’m involved in several charities and have been for more years than I can recall. The most regular one being my local Foodbank which I have worked with for many years. One of my tasks is to sort the donations from local churches and food stores etc. During the lockdown, I’ve been stood down as they wanted couples who were living together rather than single volunteers. I’ve received financial donations which I have used to purchase essential food supplies. At present the Foodbank is delivering only.

I’m a registered member of Royal Voluntary Service as  a befriender. I used to visit an elderly gentleman regularly. To be honest they were useless during lockdown. They kept asking for volunteers. I’ve already been checked and vetted and a member for years but they didn’t bother to get in touch.  

One of my main passions is CRISIS – please tell a little about this organisation. I’ve done loads of stuff for them over the years. Including volunteering at Christmas, throwing parties and running events, anything that brought people together.

Another charity I like to support is Parkinson’s UK. That involves an annual walk, I have clocked up a few hundred miles over the years with these sponsored events.

If help is needed, I try my best to be there to support and assist. I will turn my hand to most things, you can often see me, litter picking for Midhurst Parish, out shopping for locals, especially during lockdown, donning my trainers for walking and much more.

Thank you Mo for coming along to PBHQ, I know this story is only a glance at what you have been involved in over the years. Our world is a better place for having lovely people like you in it.



No comments: