Saturday 27 January 2018

Character Interview: Arthur known in legend and folklore as ‘KING ARTHUR’



Today on our special character interview we meet, ARTHUR – known in legend and folklore as ‘KING ARTHUR from the Pendragon’s Banner Trilogy written by Helen Hollick.




1.             Introduce yourself and tell us where can we meet you?
Good morrow, this is somewhat strange as I do not think I have been questioned in this manner before. (I believe it is called ‘being interviewed’? What a quaint notion!)

It is the mid fifth century, and I am Arthur, the Pendragon, son of Uther, King of the Britons, and now that he is dead, I am King, although it has been a long, hard battle to reach this position of authority. You will find me in many tales, some more outrageous than others, some more exciting, some more believable – but in this instance, I can be found filling the pages of the Pendragon’s Banner Trilogy written by Helen Hollick. The three novels are: The Kingmaking, Pendragon’s Banner and Shadow of the King, and they follow my life from spotty youth to grey-haired man.

2.             Why are you in this book?
Because I am the boy who became the man, who became the king, who became the legend.
And because Ms Hollick wanted to write her version of my life.

3.             Would you describe yourself as a likeable person?
Probably not, no. I am a warlord. I have to be tough, even ruthless at times. I am also passionate, and passionate people are often quick tempered. But I like to think myself honourable and loyal to those who are loyal to me. I do not suffer fools, but I admire those with a brave heart. I adore my wife and Queen, Gwenhwyfar, although she too is a passionate woman and we have been known to have several rather dramatic fights.

Still, it is always nice to ‘make up’ after our squabbles.



4.             What would you say are your strengths and your weaknesses?
My strengths? Dedication to my cause – bringing peace to these turbulent times here in Britain. The Romans just upped and went back to Rome, leaving Britain in a state of chaos and vulnerable to foreign invasion. There are those, mostly my British enemies, who are certain that the Romans will return, I am equally as certain that they will not, which causes friction between many of us.
 I am also convinced that the only way to achieve peace is to negotiate treaties with the Anglo-Saxons, Hengest and his brother Horsa, for instance, who are attempting to settle in what modern people call ‘Kent’ with our without my consent. I would prefer to ensure it is ‘with’, although taking Hengest’s granddaughter as my first wife was not a part of my intended plan! She is well capable of stirring trouble and is not keen on accepting that I divorced her. Frankly, I would rather have cut her throat, but that is not very honourable, or so my advisors tell me.

My weaknesses? Women and drink. And my love for my wife, Gwenhwyfar. I guess I ought to add my stubborn pride as well?

5.             Did your author portray you and your story correctly? If not why?
As far as I am concerned, yes, but then it is debatable, in the eyes of factual history, whether I ever truly existed or not – so no author ever has the right of it where I am concerned.

In the Pendragon’s Banner Trilogy, though, my author did not use any of the later Medieval tales, setting my life firmly in the mid- fifth century and the early Welsh tales. There is no Lancelot, holy grail or Merlin in this version. And it is better for it, I think.


courtesy ©CathyHelms www.avalongraphics.org


The Kingmaking : viewBook.at/Kingmaking
Pendragon’s Banner : viewBook.at/PendragonsBasnner
Shadow of the King : viewBook.at/ShadowOfTheKing



About Helen Hollick



Helen lives on a thirteen-acre farm in Devon, England. Born in London, she wrote pony stories as a teenager, moved to science-fiction and fantasy, and then discovered historical fiction. Published for over twenty years with her Arthurian Trilogy, and the 1066 era she became a ‘USA Today’ bestseller with her novel about Queen Emma The Forever Queen (UK title A Hollow Crown.) She also writes the Sea Witch Voyages, pirate-based nautical adventures with a touch of fantasy. She has written a non-fiction about pirates and one about smugglers in fact and fiction, due to be published in 2018




LINKS:


Newsletter Subscription: http://tinyletter.com/HelenHollick


Amazon Author Page (Universal Link) viewAuthor.at/HelenHollick


Twitter: @HelenHollick
  

Pendragon’s Banner You Tube Trailer




8 comments:

Eileen Schuh: said...

Oh, my. Arthur sounds a bit scary, but perhaps his bluster is necessary for survival? Medieval times were stark, I hear.

Gilli Allan said...

Nail on head I think, Eileen. Without grit, and self-belief how did you even survive in those harsh times, let alone become a legend?

Helen Hollick said...

Hello Eileen and Gilli, yes I deliberately made 'my' Arthur tough - and a tad scary. He is also capable, loyal and would die for those he loves. I have always seen Arthur as a warlord, a man who had to fight hard to gain his kingdom and even harder to keep it. A man like that has to be tough to survive - and scary when it comes to facing enemies, but he is not a monster, ruthless or abusive of his position of power. He sometimes gets things wrong or misjudges situations but has a goal and is determined to reach it and keep it.
Thanks for leaving a comment - much appreciated!

Inge H. Borg said...

King Arthur has been much too romanticized by so many. A savvy writer of historical fiction, Helen Hollick never falls into this trap. Great intervie; I am glad this King submitted to it to clear things up.

Inge H. Borg said...

King Arthur has been romanticized too often by others. It is a trap in which a savvy historical fiction writer like Helen Hollick never gets caught. Her accounts are always based on informative research - while still entertaining the reader.
So glad, the King submitted to this interview to clear things up.

Inge H. Borg said...

King Arthur has been romanticized too often by others. It is a trap in which a savvy historical fiction writer like Helen Hollick never gets caught. Her accounts are always based on informative research - while still entertaining the reader. So glad, the King submitted to this interview to clear things up.

Cathy Helms said...

Ah, here is one of my favorite all-time Arthurs written expertly by Helen Hollick. He certainly knows his own weaknesses well. I agree! Ha! Great interview!

Pauline Barclay said...

I am so pleased you enjoyed our quaint, interview Arthur, in our times we are far less formal, but I do thank you for stopping by and talking to us.