Thursday 20 December 2018

Yesterday Uncovered with True Colours by Elly Redding




This month on Yesterday Uncovered we slip back to 2000 to 2018



Sitting, in the shade, on a recliner at the side of my pool is Elly Redding, the author of True Colours, so please help yourself to a glass of chilled bubbly, a plate of tapas, then make yourself comfortable and enjoy slipping back to the 2000s.





Tell us a little about yourself

I can’t remember a time when I’ve not been busy scribbling away, creating a fantasy world all of my own.  Whether it was escaping from villains or falling for heroes, my drawers are full of notepads, of happy ever afters.  Only, sometimes, love doesn’t go quite as smoothly as we’d like.  Who would have guessed that Shakespeare’s Juliet was only faking her death?  Or that Leo and Kate would have such a short time together before the appearance of a whopping great iceberg?  What if we could alter fate, or at least their destiny?

With this in mind, I wrote the first in my trilogy of second chance romances.  I was thrilled when ‘True Colours’ won the New Talent Award at the Festival of Romance in 2014 and equally delighted when it was Chill with a Book Readers’ book of the Month, as well as receiving third prize in the Independent Author Book Award “Words for the Wounded”

Now all I have to do is get cracking and publish the second in the trilogy, ‘In Too Deep’!


What inspired you to write about the 2000s?

Nowadays, as women, we have opportunities that our great-grandmothers could only have dreamt about.  We can vote, we can attend universities, set up businesses and rise to the very top, but we are still just as powerless when it comes to love.   I wanted to write a story that shows we can’t always have it all, however hard we try.  That we are just as human and fallible as our ancestors were, when it comes to affairs of the heart. 




Tell us a little about the story and its plot without giving too much away?

Could you ever trust again the man who broke your heart?  Kate Fenton thought she’d got the answer to that question all neatly sewn up.  Ever since she went to Saul Preston’s London art gallery, a month before their wedding, and found him with his assistant – who looked as if she was in the middle of a game of strip poker.

Three years later, she’s no longer so sure.  Saul’s back in her life with a new proposition – to accompany him on a trip to Majorca as his interpreter.  It’s an offer Kate can’t refuse, even though she knows she should.  Successful and rich, he’s just the sort of client her translation company is trying to attract – even if he is her two-timing ex!

Saul has never gone in for second chances.  He’s never had the time, but he knows exactly what he’s doing when he suggests the trip to Kate.  As gorgeous and infuriatingly easy to fall for as ever, he’s determined to rekindle their past.  And he’s only got three days to do it…


Is any part of the story based on facts/real events?

[I’ve not answered this question, as the story is purely fictional]

Are any of the characters based on someone real or are they pure fiction?

Whilst Kate and Saul are purely fictious, I did add a little of my own experience to Kate’s character.  I, too, am an asthmatic, and know, first hand, how frustrating and frightening it can be, when you’re struggling to breathe.  It doesn’t matter how strong you are mentally, or how determined you are to work hard and be successful, you cannot hide your vulnerability when you’re having an attack.  Although I’m sure Kate would probably fare a lot better if she could only remember to take her inhaler!


If research was necessary what did this involve?

Kate might know her ‘elevators’ from her ‘ailerons’, but I certainly didn’t when I started writing.  Fortunately, I know someone who does.  My husband, the son of a test pilot, is a font of all knowledge on all things aeronautical, and a very useful man to have around when I decided to bring aircraft leasing into Saul’s backstory.  And then, of course, there’s Kate’s translation business, where I’ve spent most of my life.  Nothing like writing from a little personal experience! 

Thank you, Pauline, for having me as a guest on your blog – it’s been great fun and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it!







(* Just in case anyone is interested, elevators are situated on the tail plane and help aircraft to go up or down, whilst ailerons are on the wings and help aircraft to bank – an ideal question for a pub quiz – possibly!)


Thank you for stopping by and meeting Elly

On Thursday we meet...





Until next time, I hope the sun is shinning on your face and in your heart.


Pauline x

No comments: