Tuesday 8 September 2020

The Invisible Thread, Linda Jones talks about her life's journey


I am delighted to have Linda Jones at PBHQ to talk about her amazing story to being a published author. Linda titled this post, The invisible thread. Please make yourself comfortable and find out why the invisible thread.

 

I often wonder why we choose the paths we do... As a nine-year-old in the mid-sixties, unable to read more than a few words, and with indecipherable handwriting, I wanted nothing more than to be able to write down all the fantasies that ran through my head.

I can still feel heartache for the child I was, stuck in the nightmare. While my classmates romped head reading Enid Blyton’s ‘Famous Five,’ I was stuck on the ‘Pirate books’ and struggling with those.

And then out of the blue, my primary school in Newport South Wales brought in a remedial teacher. That doesn’t sound like much; yet, twice a week, I and a few others would walk up the steep staircase to the top of the building and there, in that quiet, safe space she opened up my world.

That’s where my love of words and the joy of storytelling comes from. The difficulty with written language hasn’t left me. It’s more a case of technology finally filling in the gap. Three cheers for computers, spelling & grammar checks – and a fantastically patient editor.

 For over twenty years I had a fulfilling career, working in the mental health field until ill health struck. Quite suddenly, I was stuck at home, alone for most of the time; with swollen hands, unable to walk very far, or do very much.  – Despite my wonderful, supportive family, depression raised its ugly head.

But I could type – With my keyboard stuck to a large tray, I sat on the bed and I began to write. Slowly my health improved enough for me to venture out a little. I found an amazing writing group in Doncaster run by Ray Hearne.  I even began to write poetry and to believe in myself.

Unfortunately, it isn’t possible for me to return to the career I loved – So now, I’m an Independent Author who writes for children. Why children you may ask? It certainly isn’t because it’s easy – I wish!  Nine-year-olds can be the harshest of critics. I know, I’ve stood in front of a class full of them.

My love of storytelling hasn’t diminished one jot. There is something compelling about stringing words together that can capture someone else’s imagination.

 


Deadwood Hall & Deep Waters are the first two books in the Oozing Magic series for 7-10-year olds.  The third book in the series Cavern’s Fall is due to be published on Amazon within the next eight weeks. Full of magical fantasy, the series follows the adventures of Dylan and his sister Emily as they are thrown into a strange world where being shrunk down to just three inches is the least of their worries!

 


Deadwood Hall & Deep Waters are available as Paperback/Kindle & Audible.

Cavern’s Fall will be out on Paperback & Kindle shortly

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEADWOOD-HALL-thrilling-adventure-children/dp/1999324803

 


A Fistful of Feathers & Flight and Fight are the first two books in the Fraser Chronicles series for 10-13-year olds. This contemporary story follows Jo and his friends, Dan and Lucy. It’s far from straightforward – The quirky adventure is fast-paced, poignant, with danger at every turn. I’m currently writing the third and final book in the series, Freedom Rising, which should be out early next year.

Both books are available as Paperback and Kindle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fistful-Feathers-thrilling-adventure-Chronicles/dp/1999324811

 

Thank you Linda for taking time out to share your story with us and thank you lovely visitors for stopping by.

 Wishing you a wonderful day and I hope the sun is shining on your face and in your heart.

 Hugs

Pauline

No comments: